Trade Secret Protection
Protecting Your Trade Secrets
Understanding the intersection of commercial and business goals, we serve our clients and protect against trade secret theft. The best defense is a strong offense—a fundamental reason we encourage clients to stay proactive about evaluating and upgrading trade secret protection programs and policies. We serve our clients to ensure we do everything possible to protect their business from the theft of trade secrets—before an employee leaves and shares confidential information with your competitor, and before a business partner decides to start a new business to compete unfairly against your own. As needed, we also have the IP and litigation savvy to handle trade secret controversy and litigation.
Our firm routinely represents clients to conduct evaluations of existing trade secret programs, and typically involve the following actions:
- Identification and categorization of relevant trade secret information by type and location.
- Determination and evaluation of applicable laws by geography for available protection and requirements or compliance concerns, including the Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016 (DTSA) and state trade secrets laws.
- Review of existing agreements and contracts, including employee handbooks, employment agreements, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and other policies.
- Audit of current practices and procedures, including recruiting and initiation of new employees, training of existing employees, exit interview of departing employees, access for visitors, and enforcement of known violations.
- Development of recommendations based upon the results of this investigation for a corporate-wide intellectual property program, as well as site-specific protocols based upon applicable laws